Call Us Today
Living History In Tombstone Arizona
Step back in time… into the old west of today at SilverStone Ranches- the heart and spirit of Tombstone, Arizona. You can own picturesque ranch property, preserved for generations, “where the past is present”.
While prospecting up in the Walaipai country, Ed Schieffelin heard that a group of Walaipai Indians had enlisted as scouts to serve at the new Camp Huachuca. Ed tagged along with the soldiers and scouts thinking it was a good opportunity for prospecting.
After a few expeditions with the scouts, Ed decided to remain in
the hills east of the San Pedro River on his own. The hostile area
led to a soldier’s gloomy prediction that he would find nothing but
his “tombstone.” Ed prospected with his pick in
one hand and his rifle in the other keeping a
watchful eye out for danger.
Striking silver, he tried to keep things quiet,
but word of Ed's silver samples eventually
sparked a mosaic of hundreds of historic
mining claims spread throughout the
When Ed Schieffelin staked his first claim, he named it “Tombstone.” He also made
claim to Toughnut, Lucky Cuss, and Contention mines. The famous Good Enough Mine
was also one of the mines owned by Ed Schieffelin, the founder of the town in 1879.
The town prospered until 1890.
Tombstone became a mining boomtown
where its population grew from 100 to around
14,000 in less than 7 years. Like any mining
town it attracted its share of drifters, dance
hall girls, saloon keepers and gamblers.
The gentlemen and ladies of
Tombstone attended operas
presented by visiting acting
troupes at the Schieffelin
Hall Opera House, while
most of the miners,
gamblers and cowboys
preferred entertainment at
the Bird Cage Theatre, the
wildest night spot in the
Cattle stolen from ranches in
Sonora, Mexico by a loosely
organized band of American
outlaws known as “The cowboys”
who were also associated with
many stagecoach robberies.
The members included Billy
Clanton, Frank and Tom McLaury
and others who created on going
conflicts between the Earp brothers- Virgil, Wyatt and Morgan. Finally the conflicts escalated into a confrontation that turned into a shootout known as the legendary “Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.” The Wyatt’s, joined by Doc Holliday made history on October 26, 1881. The gunfight left Tom McLaury, Frank McLaury and Billy Clanton dead and Virgil Earp wounded.
Despite its name, the gunfight actually
occurred in a narrow lot six doors
west of the rear entrance to the O.K.
Corral on Fremont Street.
The gunfight erupted between the two
opposing parties when they were
standing about 6 feet apart.
About thirty shots were fired in thirty
seconds. Ike Clanton filed murder
charges against the Earps and Doc
Holliday but they were eventually
exonerated by a local judge after a
30-day preliminary hearing and then
again by a local grand jury.
On December 28, 1881, Virgil Earp was maimed in an assassination attempt by the outlaw Cowboys, and
on March 18, 1882, they assassinated Morgan Earp. Newly appointed Deputy U.S. Marshal Wyatt Earp took matters into his own hands during the Earp Vendetta Ride.
Boothill was the common name for the burial grounds of gunfighters, or those that
died violently. The early years of Tombstone's Boot Hill Graveyard (1879-1884) was
originally called the "City Cemetery." After the city built the Tombstone Cemetery
on the west end of Allen Street, the "City Cemetery" was then called the old metery.
Sometime around 1929 people began calling the "Old Cemetery" Boothill Graveyard.
When The Tombstone Epitaph was founded
in 1880, by John Philip Clum he felt the new
journal would be a paper containing Puritan
ethics and the virtues of capitalism. Ethics
were not a part of Tombstone’s early years
as they were marked by mudslinging,
gunslinging, cattle thieving, stage robberies,
and the devastating effects of flooded mines
and fire that ravaged the town.
Since 1880, The Tombstone Epitaph
newspaper, which covered Wyatt Earp,
Doc Holliday and the Gunfight at the
O. K. Corral has been the voice of the Old West as the oldest continually
published newspaper in Arizona.
The Chrystal Palace, originally known as the Golden Eagle Brewing Company is one of Tombstone's first saloons.
On June 22, 1881 fire swept
through the town destroying
many buildings. During the
fire a large group of city folk
joined to form a bucket
brigade saving the building
from total destruction. Again,
on May 26, 1882 the Golden
Eagle Brewing Company
was ravaged by fire totally
destroying the structure.
The popular saloon was
quickly rebuilt and the name
changed to the Crystal Palace
Founder of Tombstone 1877
Good Enough Mine
Bird Cage Theatre
Saloon, Gambling Parlor & Brothel
Gunfighter Burial Grounds
The Tombstone Epitaph
Founded in 1880
Golden Eagle Brewing Company
One of Tombstones Early Saloons
Tombstones Historic Saloon
Sales and Marketing by:
516 Allen Street
Tombstone, AZ 85638
No offer for sale or lease may be made and no offer to purchase or lease may be accepted prior to the issuance of the final Arizona Subdivision Public Report. Prices, plans and features subject to change without notice.
Copyright © 2013 Silver Stone Ranches. All rights reserved.